Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I'm ONLY 10 Days Late = DB Mallomars = Alert the Media!

Post in Progress... Betcha ya didn't think I was tellin' the truth about makin' the DB Challenge in my last post didja?....

Birthday Flowers

These are some of the four dozen roses and other flowers that A. got me for my birthday on Saturday. Purty huh... I'm not really a flowers kinda gal (don't get me wrong, I love flowers, but receiving flowers is not something I long for, I'm more of an "equipment" type of gal on the longing scale).

And this is one of the goodies that baby Saffron let me get into the kitchen to make over the last two weeks. Yep, between the three or four 30mn naps she takes a day, it took me that long to get these done from when I started them on the 26th (yeah, the day before I should have posted them, wanna make something of it?) Working on the post now, you'll see all of it when I'm done and not a minute sooner. Hold your water.

DB Mallomars

I know y'all probably have mallow(mars - see below) coming out of your ears right now, but what's done is done, and since I even took some damn pictures while I was making them, you're stuck with this write-up now.
The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

You could make either one or both so I chose to make the mallomars (let's call a spade a spade, shall we) because Pepperidge Farm and I have had a relationship over the years that was exclusively centered on their Milano cookies and I'm just not ready to give that up right now. Also I wanted to try my hand at marshmallows.
Naturally, the first thing I did was use a different recipe for the base than the one given which was a shortbread recipe. I figure if I'm making a cookie that has marshmallow and chocolate, I might as well make a cookie base that's graham cracker and make a s'more. So of course in my time of need, I turned to Deb of Smitten Kitchen and her adaptation of Nancy Silverton's recipe for graham crackers. What's that you say? you think Deb's the bomb too? I know, and trust me, if there ever was something that Deb was right about, and Deb is right about a lot of things in the kitchen, it would have to be how good these graham crackers are. Better than any other graham cracker and certainly better than the store-bought ones
DB Mallomars
I made half the recipe in her post anticipating that that should be plenty, and indeed it was. I felt like playing around with some cookie cutters I hardly ever use and made both fluted and plain cookies. They were one and a half inches in diameter.
DB Mallomars
I think I underbeat the marshmallow batter just a touch but they stayed put anyway once on the cookie rounds. I improvised a piping bag and tip (as mine are packed away somewhere) with a ziploc bag and out they came.
DB Mallomars
As for the chocolate glaze, I think the recipe's is too thin, I used 1.5 ounces of sunflower oil instead of 2 and it still hardly set and melted very quickly once between my fingers. I think it might be preferable to do some sort of very thin ganache or something, anything that would set a little more sturdily.
DB Mallomars
Yeah yeah, I didn't temper the chocolate, have you seen the title of this post? I'm 10 days late people, these look good enough and taste good too, right now that's about where I set the bar.

DB Mallomars

Thanks for listening. By the way, in case anyone cares, this month (well last month now) was the 2nd anniversary of my being a Daring Baker. Two years. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep at it but it's been fun. At some point I have to do the 6 or so challenges that I've missed in that time between the ones I missed when I was getting married, being pregnant and having the papoose (I guess you could say it's my 1.5 year anniversary then).

Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

better lat than never gorgeous! i have to do these! i did milans and was not 100% impressed!

Hannah said...

So glad you still found the time to participate- Your mallows look flawless!

Jamie said...

I can't ever get enough of mallomars! Or s'mores. I just adore chocolate covered marshmallows. Must be one of my favorite things. I think your marshmallows came out perfect and all put together it is beautiful. I would eat them all.

Y said...

Ten days late! Is that a record? :)

Elizabeth said...

Real mallowmars!!! I've never seen them.

One small gripe: where is the jam? There's supposed to be raspberry jam between the marshmallow and the cookie.

-Elizabeth

(I can't tell you how impressed I am that you made these!)

Unknown said...

Those look really yummy! I need a new adjective.

Anonymous said...

I want the jam, too.

Leah Wentzel said...

could they be any more perfect?

Pat said...

Love your flowers!

Mrs. D said...

These look so yummy! I love how glossy the marshmallow is before you chocolatize everything!

Dbe said...

Mallowmars...a food from my childhood!

Kat said...

I do love Smitten Kitchen! I've never gone wrong with any of Deb's recipes.

Jeanne said...

Yum - these remind me of a sweet I used to eat as a kid in South Africa. beautiful!

Ted said...

I looked up "decadence" in the dictionary and saw some of these pictures there. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails